1 Review from the ApartmentAdvisor Community
"Terrible apartment complex run by terrible people"
I lived in Hope Gardens Apartments, which is owned and run by Meridian Group, for three years. My experience at this complex was the worst I have ever had with any rental management. I don't want to waste too much more energy fighting this company, so I will try to just briefly warn you of a few of the pitfalls of using this unprofessional company.
(1) Hope Gardens has a very serious oriental cockroach infestation. Meridian Group doesn't seem to think the infestation is a big deal because the cockroaches primarily reside outside. BUT, the cockroaches come inside all the time seeking sources of food. There were multiple times where I would get out of bed to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and step on a cockroach BAREFOOT! It was completely disgusting. I would find a minimum of three to five cockroaches inside the apartment on a daily basis. They would swarm outside and squeeze their bodies through the very old sliding glass doors to come inside. My husband would kill dozens in our yard on a daily basis. I complained regularly about the infestation, but there was nothing Meridian Group wanted to do to eliminate the problem since they didn't see it as a problem. Meridian Group has a reputation of brushing off tenant complaints and responding to them in a very nasty way. Countless times I would encounter neighbors having conversations outside discussing how upset they were that their complaints would go unaddressed and they would be considered "problem tenants".
(2) They would enter my home without giving me 24 hours notice. No further explanation needed here; this is ILLEGAL.
(3) The onsite maintenance workers are very unprofessional. When they would come into my apartment to unsuccessfully fix plumbing problems, they would say "I don't know how to fix this, I'm just a gardener". I'm dead serious. Not only do they not know what they're doing, they are very uncourteous, messy, dirty and do an incompetent job. They would leave doors wide open, after I asked them not to, which would allow my indoor cats to go outside. My pets are my family; don't disrespect that! Needless to say, I did not trust them to enter my home without my being present.
(4) They increase rent every year by approximately $70.
(5) They illegally keep your security deposit when you move out. They have a policy that charges tenants with carpet cleaning upon their moving out. It is illegal to charge a tenant for normal wear and tear. They also have a policy that charges tenants with pest (flea) eradication if you had a pet. They don't provide you with proof that you introduced fleas into the apartment or even proof that there was a flea problem in the apartment. This is also illegal. When I contacted Jennifer DeSandre about my security deposit, she would respond with petty things like "everyone knows that Santa Barbara has a flea problem." That's great Jennifer. That doesn't mean that you can charge me for a flea infestation that doesn't exist. After three months of fighting, I got my security deposit back. If you have this issue with Jennifer, just go above her head. She is extremely emotional, useless and responds to your inquiries with nothing but disrespect and sarcasm. She is the most unprofessional person I have ever worked with.
Well, believe it or not, this was a brief review! There are so many more negative things to be said about this company. Save yourself the stress! Yeesh!
Stayed 2013 to 2016, lived as a couple in a 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment
Pricing and Floor Plans
|1 bed / 1 bath||$1600||-|
|Prices and availability subject to change without notice.|
Location of Hope Gardens34.4418566 -119.7459000
About Hope Gardens
Address: 102 N Hope Ave, Santa Barbara, CA 93110
Is This Your ApartmentAdvisor Listing?
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.Claim Your Listing